The Salmon Creek Lions Club, sponsored by the Hazel Dell Lions Club, was chartered February 13, 1982; and its Foundation was established in 2013. Through the years, it has been a committed supporter of the Lions Sight Foundation of Clark County and the Lions Hearing and Speech Conservation Committee of Clark County. Club members have served key roles in each organization, and the Club has been a significant financial supporter to both through the years.
The Club also has contributed funding to numerous causes such as the following:
- Diabetes education programs at Vancouver’s two hospitals.
- PNW camps for diabetic children.
- Leader Dogs for the Blind (a Lions national program) and Guide Dogs for the Blind.
- Lions Clubs International Foundation (LCIF) to enable its worldwide humanitarian work.
- CARE International (established in 1945 to fight poverty and world hunger)
- Northwest Lions Foundation (since 1969, restoring sight and hearing throughout the PNW to individuals unable to afford the care and/or equipment).
Typical club activities, both service and fundraising, can be found in the following calendar of events and activities for 2020 before the COVID-19 cancellations.
- Throughout the year, collect used eyeglasses to send to Lions’ Eyeglass Recycling Center for use globally
- Vision screening at the City of Vancouver’s annual Homeless Connect event
- Feeding volunteers at Klineline Kids’ Fishing Event and at the PUD’s Earth Day event
- Spring Flower Sale (fundraiser)
- Cooking/serving hot dogs at Fire District 6 Open House
- Vision Screening at Felida Community’s July 4 Event
- Vision Screening at Back-to-School events at Hudson Bay H.S. and Trinity Lutheran Church
- Begin vision screening at EOCF Head Start classes in Clark County (late Aug.-mid Oct.)
- Vision Screening continues at EOCF classes and commences at selected ESD112 public schools in SW Washington
- Vision screening at Clark College Multicultural Resource Fair, and the Peace & Justice Fair
- Continue vision screening at EOCF/ECEAP, ESD112 and private schools
- Continue vision screening
- Wreath Sale fundraiser
- Complete schools’ vision screening
- Walk & Knock Food Drive at Fire District 6 site on Hazel Dell Avenue
- Support Neighbors Helping Neighbors by providing food, funds, and gifts for children
- Salvation Army Bell Ringing at Salmon Creek Fred Meyers
- Assist Vancouver Dawn Lions Club set up for Crystal Plum Bazaar
A major event in the history of the Club occurred in 2015, when the Club acted to initiate a major effort to screen the vision of children of Southwest Washington; using its Foundation which had been established two years prior, as the mechanism to secure funding to underwrite the considerable cost of such a venture. By any measure, the effort is deemed a success as it has expanded throughout Southwest Washington and involved numerous Lions Clubs in the five counties. Details are provided in the Foundation page.